If you aren’t familiar with arborists, you may get them confused with landscapers. Though the two professions overlap, they aren’t the same. That’s why we’ve put together this quick guide explaining the difference between arborists and landscapers so you can call the right professional for your needs!
What is an Arborist?
An Arborist is a specially trained professional who deals with the art and science of planting, caring, maintaining, and diagnosing trees, shrubberies, and other woody plant life. These professionals have spent time and effort mastering their craft to properly and effectively manage the growth and development of trees.
When should I call an Arborist?
If you are looking for someone to help you take care of the trees on your property, an Arborist is the expert for you. Some services that Arborists provide include:
- Removing trees. The most popular reason for calling an Arborist is for the safe removal of a large tree. Though this sounds like a simple task, cutting down a tree is precise work. Arborists control where the tree falls, making sure that no one is hurt and no property is damaged.
- Stump Grinding. Stump grinding is the process of removing a tree stump by using a grinder. This method is typically used for larger stumps that cannot be removed by hand. The Arborist will use a machine to grind the stump down to ground level. This process can take several hours, depending on the size of the stump
- Pruning and trimming trees. Pruning and trimming your trees is essential to ensuring that they remain healthy for years to come. By removing dangerous and diseased branches, you ensure that the healthy parts of your tree flourish. Trimming your trees regularly ensures that they retain their structural integrity and do not grow in the way of structures or power lines.
- Reshaping trees. There are several reasons that a tree might need to be reshaped. For example, if it grows in a particularly windy area that causes it to grow at an angle or begins growing in a way that compromises other trees or structures, an Arborist can help reshape the tree and influence its future growth pattern.
- Diagnosing and treating diseased trees. Does your tree have large vertical cracks, dead branches, or insects living inside of it? Call an Arborist to diagnosis the problem and offer a solution to prevent further damage. When caught early enough, advice from an Arborist can save your tree from needing to be cut down!
- Tree planting and regeneration: An arborist can help with tree planting and regeneration in a number of ways. They can help you choose the right tree for your area, as well as provide advice on how to properly care for it. They can also help with the physical process of planting the tree. In some cases, they may even be able to help with the regeneration of a tree that has been damaged or removed.
In short, an Arborist is your best resource for any tree-related services and advice.
What is a landscaper?
A landscaper is a professional who designs, installs, and maintains gardens and other landscapes. Landscapers typically have a background in horticulture or a related field. They may also be certified in landscape architecture or have experience working with plants and shrubs.
What services can landscapers help with?
While an arborist primarily focuses on the care of trees, a landscaper has a more general focus. Landscapers can help with the design and installation of new gardens, as well as the maintenance of existing ones. Other services include lawn care and maintaining flower beds, irrigation systems and small decorative trees. Landscapers also mow and fertilize grass, apply mulch, weed your garden and shape small trees. Additionally, a landscaping service can help you plan your yard, plant a sapling and perform light trimming and pruning of trees and shrubs.
Though landscapers may also be able to offer advice on tree care, they are not typically equipped to handle the removal of trees or other major tree-related tasks.
Looking for an Arborist in the Sacramento area?
Trees can provide shade and beauty, but they also need regular maintenance. That’s where an arborist comes in. If you have trees that need to be removed, diagnosed, pruned, or trimmed, or if you are looking for expert tree care advice, give us a call! We are a team of expert Arborists who travel in the Sacramento and Roseville, California areas. Call us today to get started!